Thursday 30 September 2010

Steak, Ale & Mushroom Pie

No 1/70


Just finished the Steak, Ale and Mushroom pie and it was VERY tasty indeed. 




I had to make it in my small le creuset ceramic casserole but it turned out fine. Based on the ingredients this makes 4 portions of pie at 7 Weight Watchers points per portion. Please note this is based on my own calculations, most of the ingredients are zero points, only the steak pieces (1.5 points per quarter bag) and the puff pastry (5 points per portion) have a value. The other half point I have added is for the small amount of olive oil and pale ale in the recipe.


From start to finish this took about 40 minutes, half of which was in the oven. The end result was way more impressive than I was expecting, I served it with mashed potato and it worked well, see below:




The only things I will change if I cook this again will be to add more ale than the recipe suggests as personally we like more 'gravy' than this pie produced. Also, despite having longer than the recipe suggested the carrots were still a little on the crunchy side, I would consider cutting them into smaller chunks.


But - on the whole this is a tasty, filling and very healthy alternative to a steak pie, the seasoning works well and it is very appealing on a cold autumn night.


Monkey rating: 8/10 (from Veggie husband)


Bon appetit!

1 comment:

  1. Cooking this tomorrow, but going to try slightly less stock, slightly more ale ( using Hobgoblin :)

    ReplyDelete